Starting from Brent Cross tube, we made our way to Church End and its seventeenth-century Church Farm House, Hendon’s oldest dwelling house. One of the founders of ‘Punch’ magazine once lived there. Next to it is the Greyhound Inn where we rested for coffee and to use their loo (but were not allowed in until we had bought something!).
Via St Mary’s churchyard we passed through numerous alleys toward Sunny Hill Park with its splendid views across to Mill Hill and Colindale. We could see the RAF Museum, Wembley Arch and of course, Harrow-on-the-Hill. Crossing under the A1 the group made its way through Copthall Fields towards the Leisure Centre where we ate our lunch at their outside tables. Following lunch we walked through Copthall Woods and Hendon golf course along the track bed of the long-gone LNER railway between Mill Hill East and Edgware. After a brief road walk we turned into Ashley Lane, part of an ancient bridlepath once used by Cardinal Wolsey on his last journey to York.
Passing near to Hendon Hall, the mansion built by David Garrick on becoming Lord of the Manor of Hendon in 1756, the final leg took us along the river Brent on its semi-rural route through Brent Park towards Brent Cross and the end of our journey.